Monday, December 12, 2011

New Mexico Misc....

Yesterday was, as planned, a relaxing and "Git er dun" kind of day. Jeff got the BB all spiffed up and I got my hair did and even gave myself a long overdue pedicure! Later in the afternoon, Jeff lounged and I went for a walk in the RV parks rather large backyard. Half of me wanted to see a Javelina and the other half was scared to death that I would. And it would be a female. With babies. And she'd skewer me with her enormous tusks. Nothing....not even a quail! But a pretty view...


Just as I reached the fence line, I did see some local wildlife...

I have grown so fond of the little Quails. They have been running rampant since we were in San Luis Obispo and the more I see them, the more I love them. We even bought a Quail Fan Pull the other day.
In the evening, Jeff put on '2001, A Space Odessy' and Xena was mesmerized. She literally sat on the footstool spellbound by the "apes" jumping around, hooting and hollering.
Jeff and Xena having movie night

Today we left before the rain started, on the road by 8:45. Crossed the border into New Mexico and I was kind of startled. I expected mountains and beautiful desert flora and fauna. It looked like Kansas. Miles and miles of plains, no cactus, no shrubs, few peaks, a few cows. Boring...and ugly.
We proceeded to the RV park that I had found on line (and had received excellent reviews) and found a dirty, filthy park in a very poverty stricken area of Las Cruces that I flat out refused to stay in. Thankfully, I had Plan B. The KOA alittle more on the outskirts of town. We have never stayed at a KOA before ($$$) but this was the only option. Actually, not a bad park. Overlooks Las Cruces and has amazingly fast and free internet access.
After hooking up we drove in to Old Mesilla, presumably a cool area with shops and historical significance. OK, if that's what you call cheap mexican import shops and this...
Made a quick walk around the "historic square" and left for home. On the way back to the BP we noticed that we were, in fact, crossing the Rio Grande. Cool...

It actually explained a lot about how the mexican illegals are getting across the border (the Rio Grande is basically the border line between Mexico and Texas/New Mexico). There's no f-ing water in the Dam thing (and I do mean "dam" since there must be one somewhere).

That is one dry river!

Another quiet evening at home. It has started to rain alittle. Our only fun was having Xena model the hat we bought her in Old Mesilla. She's stunning!


No comments:

Post a Comment