Friday, April 13, 2012

The BP gets a New Look!

Xena's still bored

We got the BP dropped off at the Monaco Service Center in Wakarusa, Indiana on Wednesday afternoon and retired to the Red Roof Inn for a few days during repairs. A few snafu's with parts but otherwise a great group of guys that actually know what they are doing (Monaco now owns Holiday Rambler, which is the original manufacturer of the BP).
This area of Indiana is highly populated with Amish so, while they aren't here in Elkhart, this scene is pretty much status quo...

It's pretty interesting to see though I have read a few books on the Amish and I know that their lifestyle can be kind of harsh (as far as punishment). Hopefully that is the exception rather than the rule. Yesterday we drove to Middleton which is highly Amish and had lunch at Das Dutchman Essenhaus. Though owned by non-Amish the entire staff and menu is definitely Amish. I didn't even know that Amish women had time for, or were allowed to have  jobs outside the home. It was family style (aka buffet) but it was delish! Homemade chicken noodle soup, bread and salad to start then the buffet with a literal Sunday dinner menu, chicken, mashed potatoes, dressing, noodles, veggies, etc. That was our first big "dinner" that actually felt like a family dinner since we left. After lunch we walked through some of the Amish shops, markets and also an antique store that was pretty interesting. As much as I love the quilts and understand the time and skill involved with the making of one, I just can't invest $800 and up just for Xena to puke on it! I'd have to kill her!
Jeff and I spotted this place on the way back to the hotel...

Yup, he felt like he was home already. After subjecting him to a big day of eating and browsing my poor husband took what I believe may be his first ever nap, from about 6-10. And then woke up to brush his teeth and sacked out again with me about 10:30.

As it turns out, Elkhart is the RV Capital of the US. No wonder we have seen every manufacturer here as well as Dometic (which makes RV appliances) and several furniture and accessory plants too. Today we went to the RV/MH Hall of Fame. A huge museum dedicated to the history of RV's and motorhomes. They had quite an antique collection which made both Jeff and I think how fun it would be to find one of these classics and refurbish it.





The one above totally has "Shaggin' Wagon" written all over it! The few other people at the museum whipped through in about a half hour while Jeff and I (Ooooing and Ahhhing) took the better part of two hours to complete our tour.

Back "home" and thinking that as long as we have to stay in this crappy ass hotel...I might as well take advantage of the bathtub. Anyone who knows me, knows I love a good bath (versus shower) and having been without for 6 1/2 months, I am soaking this opportunity up (literally).

No comments:

Post a Comment