Sunday, March 25, 2012

South Carolina (again)

We had a 4 1/2 hour trip to Longs, South Carolina today. And it was a pretty interesting stretch. Once we got off Hwy. 95, we were on pretty much "back road" parts of South Carolina. About a half hour off the freeway we stopped at a gas station for a "potty" break. First of all, I didn't know a woman could actually spray urine all over a toilet/floor/wall. I thought that particular atrocity was reserved for men! Second, I have never seen people, dressed in their Sunday best having dinner at a gas station, on styrofoam plates and seated at folding tables scattered in the middle of the store. Now I really feel like I'm in the south!
After that pit-stop we stayed on the road for the duration. It was a very pretty drive. Considering the scene at the gas station, I have never seen so many beautiful (brick) homes. Many with cool old barns and stables, plenty of horses and the most gorgeous Azaleas I have ever seen. Most of the homes were literally surrounded by beautiful and enormous bushes in a profusion of bright colors. And the woods were literally filled with Wisteria in magnificent purple. Then we finally arrived at Willow Tree Resort and Campground. The long drive in through the manicured lawn and surrounding woods told me this was going to be a good one. That was an understatement. Clearly, this "campground" will be rated #1 in our long list of campgrounds. It is stunning. Wide, long pull-through sites with more lawn around us than we had at home. Towering pines, a beautiful lake and all the nice extras to boot (like a pool, hot tub, gym, laundry, store, bocce ball, horseshoe pits, paddle boats, beach and volleyball courts).



Jeff and I took a walk around the grounds and the lake and are completely in awe of the absolute beauty they have managed to capture here. The only thing missing, oddly enough, is cable and wifi. Not typically important but this evening we are once again in the midst of a pretty good thunderstorm. Having grown accustomed to 80+ degree days, today's high of 74 and this evenings mid 50's seems mighty cold to me.  I'm thinking that issue may be a major drawback to this move "north".


 Tomorrow we will spend the day at the coast. Forecast is for sun and I am hoping some heat as well!

Xena loves South Carolina!
You can see it in her face..

No comments:

Post a Comment