Thursday, January 26, 2012

Apalachicola and St. George Island

Today dawned bright and blue so we were off to St. George Island as planned for beach combing at the St. George State Park beaches. I was informed by a fellow resident last night that the shells on one particular beach was "unbelievable". Well, the island, the park and the beaches were entirely unbelievable but the shelling...not so much. No matter, we had a great walk on the beach and spent alittle bit of time in the shops of St. George.


These beaches go on for the entire length of the island which is about 6 miles long. Gulf beaches on one side and bay beaches on the other. Two "flags" up today...yellow (caution) and purple (dangerous marine life)...

Portuguese Man O' War and Jellyfish
DANGEROUS

After St. George we drove to Apalachicola, which is a small town on the west side of a very large bridge. Over water. Fun. Well, the town was fun, adorable, and had some pretty good bargains to boot. We scored a few apparel items for our upcoming St. Maarten trip and one plaque for the BP that states "Tiki Bar"...hells yeah!

Crab Cakes for lunch

Shrimp Boats on the waterfront pier
The best shop was full of genuine boat related items...buoys, flags, floats, nets, bobbers, etc... If I had a gulf house I would totally decorate with this stuff. So colorful and...nautical! Oddly enough, the other day when Jeff and I were at the beach on Gulf Shores I found a float and took it home with me. I told Jeff it was worth something but he didn't believe me. I'm kind of in love with my find and will be putting it out with my palms at each stop!


We repeatedly heard, as we walked through town, that there was a forecast of severe weather. It was getting grey  and windy so we headed back to the BP and were greeted by a "neighbor" who was just about to take OUR awning down for fear of it getting ripped off. We put the awning down and Jeff checked his phone for a weather update. Sure as heck, there was actually a Tornado Watch for Carrabelle. As we waited on the weather to get progressively worse, I had time for one more walk on the beach and we fired up the grill for our chicken dinner. Then it came....and is still coming. Thunder, lightening and torrential down pours! We are safe and sound in our little tin can of a home. Wined and dined and connected to cable TV. What more could you ask for...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa and Jeff,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about the Gulf Beaches on St. George Island to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete