Monday, January 2, 2012

Beaumont...More Louisiana than Texas!

We left Aransas Pass and our new Palms friends with hugs and promises to return. The drive to Beaumont was a very easy one (no mountains!) and took us just over 4.5 hours. The only issue was a very strong headwind that sucked the gas out of the BB like there was no tomorrow!
Bridge over Aransas Bay



Since we made such great time, we were able to attend to some very important business....getting to an AT+T store to replace Jeff's busted iPhone. He was very happy and since it was his BIRTHDAY...I wanted him to be happy! After that I treated him to a birthday dinner at Floyd's. Beaumont's motto is actually "More Louisiana than Texas" and Floyd's proved that motto correct. Anyone that knows my husband, knows he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Not to much for experimenting. I, on the other hand, am all about trying new things (as long as it isn't raw oysters!). So Floyd's was the perfect place for us both. He got a delish steak, baked potato, garlic bread. I got stuffed shrimp and Jambalaya (my first).
It wasn't the most exciting birthday for Jeff but I think overall he was pretty happy with the steak and the new phone.

Today we drove south to the gulf in hopes of exploring what appeared (on maps) to be several wildlife preserves. Not so much. The preserves were turnoffs, gated trails and warnings about hunting. We did enjoy the drive along the coast though and got some interesting and up close views of several humongous oil refineries. As much as they completely destroy the look of the area and any nature that may have one day existed, they are a marvel. Eventually we did make it to Sea Rim State Park and had a nice walk on the boardwalk there as well as a beach drive.

Board walk with some kind of fire in background.
We don't know if it was a prescribed burn or not as this
stretch of highway was still closed following a hurricane.



After our walk we headed back up the highway and I did get my very first "Texas Longhorn" sighting. Cute little buggers who thought, as I pulled over, that I was there to feed them. So they practically posed for me!

Then we happened upon a dead coyote (roadkill) who was being feasted on by two gorgeous hawks. We have been seeing these hawks all over southern Texas and they are stunning. We even had one outside the RV last night screeching his da-- head off!
After returning to Beaumont, I had to stop at a local pub, just for the name alone...Starvin' Marvin's. Since we frequently called my Dad by that very name, it was a must do. This despite the fact that I had read some very negative reviews on-line. But we were just going to stop for a Happy Hour beverage...well, the Shiner Bock was cold and Jeff was hungry so we ended up ordering a late lunch. Jeff had his usual burger/fries combo and I had another first...Gumbo and Boudain Balls. The gumbo was scrumptious! And the Boudain Balls were mind blowing yummy. Boudin is a sausage made from pork, rice and cajun spices. Boudain Balls are basically all that without the casing and rolled into balls and fried up. Yum Yum!!! Needless to say, as soon as we left we went to a market right across the street and bought some Boudin and an assortment of cajun spices and Roux. I will be fixin' some Gumbo y'all!

We are at Hidden Lake RV Park and while it is fine for a few days, nice enough and convenient enough...it is not the Palms and we miss our friendly neighbors and buddies, Keith and Penne. But, it was time to move on and we are excited to get to Louisiana Wednesday. Lord knows I am going to enjoy the cuisine!
The "Hidden" Lake

What's it going to do? Bite me?

Right...7.5. Not 7. Not 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment