Thursday, January 5, 2012

Swamps and Stuff!

We had a great little jaunt from Beaumont to Breaux Bridge, Louisiana yesterday. We had stopped for gas once and I ran in to use the facilities. I had noticed billboards about every five feet on Interstate 10 for "Boudin and Cracklins". Now I know what Boudin is (and love it) but what's this "Cracklin" stuff? As it turns out, the station had both Boudin Balls and Cracklin. I ordered up 2 balls and then asked about the Cracklins. Immediately I got the "What, you ain't never had no Cracklins 'for!!!" Well, no...actually I have not. So I got a taste. They were nice, crispy little morsels that reminded me of well done hashbrowns. Then I was told what it was...pork fat. Fried up nice and crisp. Or as the friendly guy behind me said...just like bacon. Yeah, bacon without the meat! The same guy approached us in the parking lot and after learning where we were heading (he was from Lafayette) he gave us the low-down on the best restaurant in Lafayette, assuring us he would never steer us wrong.
We arrived at the Cajun Palms RV Resort by about 1, and were set up in no time.Jeff's M.O. is that driving, any distance, wears him out. I wanted to hit up the visitors center and start planning the activities for the next few days so I left him at home and headed to downtown Breaux Bridge. Just as well, the little downtown was full of cute shops and antique stores so I was much happier on my own. Every shop I stopped in, I met the nicest people. And also learned that for the time I am in Louisiana I will be referred to as "Baby". As in...
"Can I help you, Baby?", "Where y'all from Baby?", "Come back now, Baby"... Nice people, these Cajun's!


Today we woke to a lot of fog but by 9 or so, it was a clear blue sky and warming up quickly (and the humidity...OMG). We decided it would be a great day for a swamp tour so we made arrangements at Champagnes Swamp Tours (the owner IS Brian Champagne!). The "swamp" is actually a lake as it does not dry up but full of the levees and wildlife and trees just like any "regular" swamp. Brian has been doing tours on Lake Martin for 17 years and he knows his stuff. He could spot a gator from a mile away and while there weren't too many out today, we did see 4 as well as a raccoon and a nutria and many, many birds.
Gator 1

Gator 3

Gator 4
Absolutely beautiful day out on the lake. I am particularly enthralled with the Cypress Trees (and their "knees" or roots). The Spanish Moss hanging is so pretty and so very Louisiana!


Not out of focus...just covered in moss
Of course Brian was just as Cajun as they come and so sweet. There were a family of 5 and a retired couple on the tour with us and they were all very nice and fun to have met. After our 2 hour tour we headed to St. Martinville just 15 miles south of Breaux Bridge. The draw to this area is the Acadian history and it's many museums devoted to the deportation of the French from Acadia (now Nova Scotia) to France and thier eventual immigration to Louisiana (thus the large French population and history). Acadians are now called Cajuns. A lot of the older people in this area still speak French, or as this couple we met at lunch called it "Frenglish" because the switch from French to English and back again without being aware they are doing so.
St. Martinville Parish

Great little town, all built around the church square. Also famous for a Longfellow poem called "Evangeline" which is fictional piece based on stories about Acadian women and the men they loved being separated during the deportation from Acadia and the drama they endured because of their lost loves!!! So we had a great adventure on the Bayou, a great history lesson, met more nice Cajuns and had a beautiful day to enjoy (70+ degrees).

No comments:

Post a Comment