Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Horses and Wine

Jeff was still in pretty bad shape this morning and we researched his malady a bit and decided it was probably a heel bone spur that had caused some soft tissue damage. Nothing much to do except rest the foot and by using heel pads in his shoes and wrapping the heel, prevent future repeat injury. Knowing that today was the only day I could get out to the Wild Horse Sanctuary (they are open Wed/Sat only), Jeff gave me his blessing to go ahead without him.

After tending to my wifely/nurse duties I headed out. The Sanctuary is outside of a town called Shutterville, about 30 miles east of Redding. Beautiful ride out on another winding country road through a combination of high desert and horse pastures. The couple that runs the facility have been doing so since the 70's. What happens is the US government, in it's infinite wisdom, decides how many wild horses there can be in this country based on horse per free range acre. But as they keep cutting the "free range" or public land acreage, the numbers are decreased dramatically every year. The horse "caught" are then sold, but of course, not all are sold or even sellable. Some are old, some are injured or lame. Some are just not sold. Currently there are 40,000 wild horses being held by the US government and they pretty much plan on destroying them if they can't find a home for them. That's where the refuge comes in. They take as many horses as plausible and allow them the run of thier 5,000 acre ranch. Yes, some have to be euthanized if they are sick or suffering but most just live out thier final years as they were meant to....as free spirits. They are allowed to breed naturally as well but the babies are rounded up ( as they had been last week) and auctioned off to support the ranch and research projects. Super nce people that have taken on this project and they obviously care a great deal about the future of Wild Horses.


The "babies" were particularly adorable and as they had been wild up until last week, were full of piss and vinegar. They were having thier stalls cleaned when I came around so they were getting free time in the corral two by two. Funny little horsies!

The sanctuary is self-supporting but accepts donations. If anyone feels inclined, I would highly recommend this worthy cause. You can send to Wild Horse Sanctuary, PO Box 30, Shingletown, CA 96088.



On the way home I stopped at Anselmo Vineyards. Another beautiful spot out in the back country (has everyone taken thier drinks?? I know I have used "beautiful" at least twice so far!) I just walked the grounds a little bit and did not even do a tasting. That's no fun by yourself and I had to drive home besides. But the grounds were ....gorgeous!
The deck at Anselmo Vineyards

Anselmo gardens

Made a couple more animal friends at Anselmo. Never thought I'd say this but I liked the Billy Goat much batter than the little lamb (he wanted to eat me and was filthy!)

Got home about 3:30, fed the invalid, and then did a nother Walmart run for some heel pads and a new ace bandage. I can not seem to get on Pacific time...I always seem ready for bed by about 9 O'Clock! Or maybe it's the large glass of Klinker Brick I am sipping on. Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment