Saturday, October 15, 2011

Smith Rock State Park

Thursday we....what did we do? Seems so long ago. Oh yeah, we went downtown again in search of some kind of wall decor to hang our keys on. Success! I know it wasn't a big purchase but we had been looking for one since Custer.
After our big purchase we went to Pilot Butte which is an old volcano smack in the middle of Bend. You can walk up the entire perimeter of the volcano but this time we drove. Honestly, this was the most scared I have been driving as the road was very narrow and on the way up you are on the outside with not much between you and a really big hill going down. Did get some nice panoramic views from the top.






We then went back to the BP and I did laundry while Jeff had his shopping therapy at Walmart. He must have had a great time because he was gone, like, 3 hours! After Jeff made his way home we went out for an actual evening "date". This would be the first time since our anniversary that we went out in the evening (usually we are just too tired). We went to the Cascades Lake Lodge Brewing Company where we knew we would enjoy a "Monkey Face" brew. We had a great dinner, beer was awesome and even got to play some Bingo!
Today (I think it's Friday) we had a gorgeous day and the hike of our lives. Smith Rock State Park is just north of Redmond and is a completely different environment than the customary mountains. It's a red rock canyon with huge outcroppings of hoodoos. I actually had just "discovered" Smith Rock in one of those tourist mags that are laying around. So glad I saw the article. We got there about 11:30 and because Jeff specifically said he wanted a good hike, we chose "Misery Trail" for our little walk. Not one question in my mind why they call that particular trail "misery". Now it was a pleasant 65 degrees or so at the start. But as we were walking almost straight up a 1500 foot summit, against a backdrop of red/gold rock we felt like it was about 100 degrees (and it probably was!) I am afraid of heights as in....don't put me in a ferris wheel. What I did not know about my husband was, he is afraid of heights as in...do not make me walk up a "ledge" that drops down a couple thousand feet! He made it, I made it and the view at the summit was spectacular and well worth it.

It was all downhill from there. Literally, not figuratively! One of the big attractions is a huge outcropping called Monkey Face (Also the name of Jeff's fav beer). As we approached the rock I said to Jeff "I just don't see the Monkey Face". He implied I had no imagination. What do you think?

Anyway, we continued the hike down and as we came around the bend I saw...

Ahhh....Monkey Face!! Apparently we were on the wrong side. Well, the rest of the hike was uneventful and wonderful. Quite a few Mountain Bikers were also on the trail and the next big draw to Smith Rock is Mountain Climbing. Jeff just kept shaking his head, saying "Idiots!"


My future home

View from my future home!
All in all we hiked for almost 3 hours. Probably 2 uphill, 1 downhill. Took 179 photos. Drank every drop of water in our bottles. Sweat off about ten pounds. Nice day!



Ended the afternoon with a late lunch at a Cascades Brewhouse in Redmond (sensing a theme?) and a stop at the local Big R, which is a ranchers version of Fleet Farm.  As soon as we got home, both Jeff and I released the feet and enjoyed a little "deck" time as it was so nice outside. Tommorrow will be our last day in Bend. I am quite sad, actually, because I really, REALLY love this town. However, as we will be heading into Northern California and pretty much following the Cascades down, I am sure it will be fun to see new places and new scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment